Monday, August 15, 2011

Men's Discussion: Expectations for Wednesday Night

As I've mentioned before, I will be hosting the Men's Discussion Night on the third Wednesday of each month, from 7 to 9PM.

So far, so good.

Now, I want to give a preview of what you can expect from these events:

Like all events that I host, each discussion will be a Guaranteed Safe Space.  You can relax, feel welcome, open up and be yourself, and get lots of approval for being fully self-expressed. Nobody will be treating you shabbily, ignoring your efforts to connect on a friendship level, or disrupting the flow. I personally guarantee it. I have decades of experience doing this sort of thing (I'm a natural-born Julie the Cruise Director), and I know how to put everybody at ease, and how to change gears immediately if the need arises.

These events are being held outside of a noisy, distracting bar environment, in order to particularly welcome the 18-and-up crowd, those in recovery, and those who can't really bond well with others over the sounds of a packed bar. Please use this as an opportunity to develop new friendships with men of like interests. Step away from your computer screen and spend some comfortable time with your brothers in real life.  We want you with us.

I will do everything that I can to facilitate "Male Intimacy". This is the term that I use for what our society discourages every day - the ability of men to be relaxed, affectionate and huggy without having to feel obligated to make it turn into a promise for anything else.

So, show up, take the pressure off, be yourself, share freely, and expect a few hugs as time goes by.  The more that you share of yourself, the more approval you'll get.  Try not to use this as yet another opportunity to hide in plain sight.  If you drop the shields, I promise that others around you will be glad to drop theirs, and we can all learn from each others' questions, answers, wisdom, experience and insights.

I'll see you this Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment