Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Open Letter From California Leatherboy 2011

Now that the judges votes have been tallied and the winners announced, I would like to take this opportunity to address the San Diego Leather community to express my appreciation and share my experience as the California Leatherboy 2011 contestant at the ILSb/ICBB competition. Please feel free to forward the open letter below to whomever deemed appropriate. Thanks again for all you are doing to support our entire community.
Your Leather Brother,

Mike Rush
---------------------------------------

To the GLBT Leather Community of California,

I am deeply grateful for the opportunity you entrusted to me to represent the entire leather community of California at the 2011 International LeatherSir, Leatherboy, and Community Bootblack competition held during the Dory Alley weekend. Although I was not declared the winner, I was truly honored to be a teammate with the California Community Bootblack, Luna, who was rightfully awarded the International Community Bootblack 2011 title.

As I spoke the first sentence of my acceptance speech at the regional contest in San Diego on June 18th, I immediately appreciated the gift the California Leatherboy title had given me: inspiration and courage. I hope my experience may help you find the motivation to stand up and be heard as proud members of our community. For those who were unable to attend the contest in San Francisco, I would like to take this opportunity to share my speech with you:



"Although my title journey has been short, I cannot believe how it has already changed my life. When I was appointed to this honor only 6 weeks ago, I approached a microphone for the first time in my life. As a person who has struggled with a life-long stutter, I did not know if I could speak a single word. But somehow, through the terror of that moment, I found my voice, and it feels great. I hope by sharing my story with my stuttering brothers and sisters, both gay and straight, I can help just one of them take that first step so they too can experience the freedom from a lifetime of silence. My message to each of you is, regardless of your worst fears and deepest insecurities, to try to find the courage to reach beyond those barriers to become the better person you know you are. I want you to be strong, to be brave, and above all, to believe that you too can do anything you dream of."
It was inspiring to watch my fellow contestants from all over North America grow and bond during our short time together in San Francisco. I look forward to reuniting with every one of them, as well as all the past and future title holders, in our united mission to promote, defend and honor our entire leather family. To paraphrase Luna's winning speech, the most important thing you can do for your community is to show up and stay involved. YOU are the community, YOU are the leaders, YOU are the mentors who will help guide and empower the next generation to carry on the rich traditions we all value.

I sincerely thank all of you for your kind words, invaluable advise and gracious support you have given me on my journey to San Francisco. Now is the time for all the Leathermen and Leatherwomen of California to join together in our support for the 2012 title holders, California LeatherSir Sam and California Leatherboy Zack, in their bids for the International titles at the 2012 ILSb/ICBB competition in Dallas next year. I look forward to meeting and working with as many of you as possible to help our entire leather community continue to grow, prosper, and thrive.

Your humble Brother in Leather,

Mike Rush
California Leatherboy 2011

caleatherboy2011@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment