Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Uniform Tips

I recently attended the by-invitation-only sale of uniform gear on consignment at Pleasures & Treasures.  The gentleman who had been Mr. San Diego Leather for 1982(?) had died, and his family was placing over 100 pieces of uniform gear for sale.  About seven of us showed up and went through everything, looking for that special item.  I bought quite a bit of stuff that I honestly couldn't afford, but I could see what a rare deal this was.

I noticed an odd pattern, though. Guys were looking through the uniforms, trying them on, and then putting them back on the rack when the shirt or pants didn't quite fit. This was a tragic loss for them, and here's why:

I bought a full San Francisco Police dress uniform for $150, that morning. It doesn't even remotely fit my, ahem, heroic proportions. But, the pieces of embroidered patches and gold accessories were accurate, in perfect condition, and CHEAP.  If I stop by California Uniform at the corner of Park and Robinson for a new long-sleeve shirt, it'll be around thirty bucks, with tax.  If I bring both shirts over to Vicky the seamstress over near me, she'll do the full transfer of patches to the new shirt for less than twenty bucks.

Normally, you have to show that you are actually a peace officer before you can buy badges, patches and other accessories new, and they are quite expensive.  In the old days, the only uniform store that would sell to us uniform-gear fetishists (without cop ID first) was Butler Uniform in San Francisco, and it cost me over $2000 for a full, accurate CHP uniform, without the helmet.

In 2001.  The prices have only gone up since then.

Butler Uniform is long out of business (what a shame), but now, here in San Diego, there is a treasure-trove of uniform gear for sale that is accurate, authentic and on the cheap. Pleasures & Treasures still offers those pieces for sale, and I recommend that you run over there.

If you've ever wanted to strut your stuff in public in a uniform, you will never have a better opportunity to do it on the cheap. There were several CHP uniforms still available, last time I checked.

Just be aware, that some cops might frown upon seeing you in any California-based uniform gear, unless it's Halloween at Nightmare on Normal Street.  So, wear a light jacket over your stuff when you're on the way to a party.  It's been a misdemeanor since January 2002, but I don't know of anybody who has ever been busted. After 9/11, some of the more obnoxious cops pushed through a law barring gay uniform fetishists, saying we were "ridiculing them". Yeah, right - I'm going to spend money to "ridicule" cops and firefighters.

California Uniforms Inc
3755 Park Blvd
San Diego, CA 92103
619-298-7504

Tim, Bill and the staff
Pleasures & Treasures
Explore your inner adult!
2228 University Avenue
San Diego, CA 92104
619.822.4280

No comments:

Post a Comment